Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Mad Fear Party

One of the fundamentals of journalism is the concept of the six Ws. OK, there's only 5, but they are Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How. When I was in school, I was graded on whether or not, I answered all of these questions. It wasn't enough for me to just get 5 out of the 6. I had to get them all. And If I didn't answer them ALL, then I didn't have a complete story. That is the assumption most of us have when we listen to the news. We assume they did their homework and answered all of the questions truthfully. All we need to do is open our mouth and let mother bird feed us, and hope we don't get food poisoning.

There's a saying in the news business, if it bleeds, it leads. The media has learned that violence begets ratings, and more violence begets more ratings. In fact, the top stories usually revolve around someone dead, dying, or going to die. The goal is to not only bring you the news, but to make you a part of it. And if you're a part of it, then you'll "keep it here, because we're America's number one source for blah..blah..blah...whatever."

If the media was an economy, then its currency would be fear. And in this economy, inflation rates are at an all time high. It is a challenge to watch the news and find anything worth redeeming. I feel as if the goal is to make me as fearful as possible. It's as if America is in perpetual surgery and I'm doomed to live out the rest of my life in the waiting room. The doctor's updates seem to be more like cliffhangers. And their tone often suggests I'm the reason she was sent to the hospital, in the first place. Well sir, she's not doing so well. We're still trying to stabilize her oil prices, but it's just not dropping fast enough. Are you sure you're doing everything you can to decrease her need for foreign oil? We are also trying to control her temperature. We have a full team of experts trying to find out the cause of the fluctuation. She hasn't been near any SUVs lately, has she?

Watch out friends! There are fear vendors on every channel, newspaper, and radio station. The answers are there, but you'll just have to find them yourself. Gas is high, but it's nothing like it was in the late 70's. If you were to tell my father we are in a recession, he would laugh in your face. Yes, it is warmer than it was 230 years ago. No one has crossed the frozen Delaware since George Washington. But It's nothing like it was during the 10 century. The Vikings gave Greenland that name for a reason. And what SUV thawed out the first Ice Age? Oh, so many questions, but NO answers. Up is down, down is up, and the Mad Hatter is running for President. Like Alice, I get so tired of listening to endless riddles with NO answers. At least there's the Food Network. I like me some Food Network.

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?” -- Mad Hatter, Alice In Wonderland

"Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." -- God, Isaiah 41:10

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." -- Jesus, John 8:32

No comments: