Monday, September 28, 2009

Seeker Insensitive

The most recent pit stop, in "my journey" through this Christian life, involves a wound that I've carried for a long time. In fact, It was a wound that I didn't know was there until God removed it. This wound, like most, began as a verbal offense. Most offenses are the result of theft. Theft is defined as "the taking of something without consent" If I "take" an offense, and none was given, then the offense is stolen. Most people don't intend to offend us, but that doesn't stop us from taking it.

Have you ever observed someone irresponsibly lay down their wallet, keys, etc.? Have you ever taken it to teach them a lesson about taking care of their stuff? After a few minutes of anxiety, you finally give it to them, proud that you showed them a lesson. Being offended is similar. We easily justify our theft by convincing ourselves that they should have been more careful with their words. How dare they trample our feelings with their free-speech. They need to learn to pay more attention to their tone and choice of words. We take an offense and we teach them a lesson by becoming offended. We take what was not given to us, and we make it into something it else.

If that wasn't bad enough, sometimes we take it, but don't tell them. That's called teaching them a "valuable" lesson. We take it forever. We hide it, and nurse it. We never tell them that we're offended. The only way they will ever know, is if they figure it out through the many clues we leave behind at family gatherings. Sometimes we leave a big clue and tell someone else. Then we deny it later to really make them sweat it out. It's normal for us to hide what we steal. Hidden offenses thrive in cold dark conditions. If they stay too long, they grow and cause infections. That infection creates a wound that brings pain for as long as the offense is hidden. Have you ever taken an offense that ate you up inside? Did the person you take it from KNOW that you took it?

A few years ago, I stole an offense from one of the leaders of a church I was attending. It turned out to be disastrous and completely changed the course of relationships. For years I harbored resentment towards the way they did ministry and their approach to people. I became disillusioned with the seeker sensitive, purpose driven model that so many churches have adopted. Church became dull and boring. I began to wonder why so many similar churches were making members instead of disciples. The sermons, the music, the activities; all were geared toward bringing the crowd into the church doors. I was all for bringing in the crowd, but what about the core? What about the struggling, hurting, and wounded brothers and sisters, who were no longer apart of the crowd, but now spending every waking minute volunteering and working to bring them in? Who is ministering to them? Who is helping to carry their burdens?

For years, I loathed the term "seeker". I've always felt the seeking was to be done OUTSIDE the doors of the church. I thought seeking was done at schools, workplaces, and laundry mats. When did the church service become an infomercial for people who might happen to walk through the doors that Sunday? If I wanted to go to a higher level, a deeper understanding, or a closer walk with God: who would I follow? Who would be my guide?

It's interesting that the seeker movement came around the same time "formal" living rooms started showing up in house plans. Families needed a room to entertain guests who didn't live there. They needed a place to showcase their cleanliness and how perfect their house was. (Take my word for it. All the rooms look like this. ) Seeker Churches decided they needed the same thing. Over time, Sunday services became like the "formal" living room. It needed to be clean, traditional, and less homely. So if the Sunday service was the formal living room, where did the "real" living take place? Where did the family get to be themselves? Where would they get a chance to take their shoes off, and take off the masks? Well, we created cell groups for that.

We made a mistake. What we should have done when people crossed the line of faith and become Christians, we should have started telling people and teaching people that they have to take responsibility to become ‘self feeders.’ We should have gotten people, taught people, how to read their bible between service, how to do the spiritual practices much more aggressively on their own. – Bill Hybels


Don't be so hard on yourself Bill. You did exactly what God wanted you to do. The quickest path to peace is acceptance, and God has brought me into acceptance with seeker churches. After Moses led the Jews out of Egypt, they came to rest in the desert. God never intended that they stay in the desert. He wanted them to go through the desert and move into the promised land. But most of the Jews didn't want to go. They didn't think it was worth the fight. God brought them out of Egypt. They didn't earn it or work for it. But the promised land was something that had to be fought over. Hybels believes he should have taught the people to become 'self feeders'. That's great, but what if they don't want to be self feeders? Well God has a backup plan.

Then the Lord said to Moses, "Look, I'm going to rain down food from heaven for you. Each day the people can go out and pick up as much food as they need for that day. I will test them in this to see whether or not they will follow my instructions. Exodus 16:4


I have come to accept the reality that there will always be people who receive God's free gift of salvation, and refuse to go any further. Sadly, more people will choose to pitch their tent in the desert, than go fight the enemy. But God in His infinite love and mercy will feed them regardless of their decision to stay where they are. The Apostle Paul understood the tendency to accept Jesus and just wait for Heaven.

So let us stop going over the basic teachings about Christ again and again. Let us go on instead and become mature in our understanding. Surely we don't need to start again with the fundamental importance of repenting from evil deeds and placing our faith in God. Hebrews 6:1


God and He alone, brought them out of Egypt. That made hungry wilderness Jews His responsibility. I believe God not only allows, but blesses, seeker churches because they are STILL feeding people. No longer will I look at them in contempt or in judgment. I regret past comments I've made about other churches, and I realize that ALL churches are needed. God took care of His people even though they didn't want to go any farther, and I believe He still does. There are a lot of people who need Christ. We need all the churches we can build. Because I am a self-feeder, I'll be at peace if God ever wants me to attend a seeker church again. I'll work instead of whine. I'll participate instead of put off. I'll be anything God wants me to be. Souls are at stake, friends. It's time to get the job done, and quit stealing.

Even though I am a free man with no master, I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ. When I was with the Jews, I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ. When I was with those who follow the Jewish law, I too lived under that law. Even though I am not subject to the law, I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law. When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law,s I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ. But I do not ignore the law of God; I obey the law of Christ. When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings. 1 Corinthians 9 19-23

3 comments:

Francesca Watson said...

Wow. What a great post, Steven. The formal living room analogy is pretty convicting - you've given me a lot to think about.

CaptTuna said...

My guide seems to be this little voice in my head. As I have grown and I don't mean grown older the voice has hepled me discover what really matters.

Monica said...

Keep writing....We're reading and being blessed. Monica