Monday, July 20, 2009

Tandem Faith

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1
Let's look at the first part. Faith is the substance of things hoped for. The word 'substance' here is the Greek word 'hypostasis' and literally means "that which stands beneath". Translated, it literally means foundation, structure, or confidence. Notice that faith is not the same as hope. Hope is the expectation of something desired. It is a feeling, and has no structure or foundation to it. It is for this reason that anyone can hope for anything and not be required to believe or prove it will happen. One cannot have faith that they will win the lottery, one can only hope to. Unless of course, you have the power to control the lottery balls. We can have more than hope that the sun will rise tomorrow, we can have faith that it will. Because the sun has a perfect track record in that department, we have the assurance, confidence, and the foundation to believe it will. We have faith.

Faith is the evidence of things not seen. The word 'evidence' is the Greek word 'elegchos' and it means "proof" or "conviction". Some of us will get up and go to work tomorrow because we have faith we will get a paycheck. Our time sheet is the proof that we actually believe there is money to be earned. I haven't seen it yet, but I know it's coming. The fact that I woke up early, got dressed, drove to work, and stayed there eight hours is the evidence that I actually believe I'll get a paycheck. My faith is not a statement, wish, or happy thought. I have backed it with 40 hours worth of evidence that I actually believe it will happen.

So by breaking apart this verse, we can see that faith is two things. Faith is something I can possess. I can watch people jump from an airplane and possess a knowledge that parachutes are able to save. But faith is also the "proof" of an outcome not yet known. I can also jump out of the plane and produce an experience that I would have never known possible had I just stayed on the ground. There is only one way to "prove" a parachute will work. All other ways are theoretical. Where is the evidence, I actually believe it? Geronimoooooooo!

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6

God already has the track record of being all powerful. Most of us don't have a problem believing God is ABLE do something significant in our lives. We are just not sure if He is WILLING. We already know God CAN heal us. (We read that part in the Bible.) Our hang up is that we're not sure if He's willing to do it for us. And because we occasionally don't believe he's willing, we occasionally don't bother seeking. Believing that parachutes can save OTHERS is easily affirmed by watching others land safely. Believing that the parachute will save ME requires some action on my part.

We have all grounded ourselves in some way because we really didn't know or believe God was gonna come through for us. Have you ever prayed for "plan A", but after praying, lay-out the steps for "plan B"? I've lost count. There were times I prayed God would provide, but used my credit card because I thought he was taking too long. I didn't pray to God. I wished upon a star, and then proceeded to check my VISA balance. Is that faith?

Remember, faith has two parts. I have already received paychecks from my employer. Those pay stubs represent the "structure" that help me leave for work everyday. I don't blindly go. When I leave, that is the evidence that I actually believe I'm gonna get another one. Because of the history with my employer, I have faith that payday is coming. It is because of my history with God, that I have faith in my future. He has never let me down. And if for whatever reason, I become unemployed, It is my faith in God that will sustain me. Companies, churches, and people will fail you, but God never will.

For the Christian, pain, loneliness, and despair are temporary feelings we get when we jump from the plane. But remember this is a tandem jump. My only job is to go limp and trust him. The more jumps I do, the more my faith builds.

No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life; as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake you. Joshua 1:5

It is real believing faith that pleases God. And unlike hope, good thoughts, and positive thinking, faith requires belief. To please God you have to know that He is already God, and knows what to do. It is one thing to hope, pray, and wish God will provide, heal, and give you a purpose in life. But it completely different to jump like it's a done deal. Don't just expect it, let your life boldly express it.

What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? James 2:14

Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. James 2:17


4 comments:

Monica said...

Steve,
Good to see your writing often again, my friend. Always thought provoking. Enjoyed catching up on your blog....particularly this one. Keep on keepin' on!

Phil said...

Awesome post Steve!!! It's the kick in the pants I needed to confidently jump out the plane headfirst knowing that God's got a plan.

Unknown said...

Good blog...How would you handle having faith for healing, but never seeing your body healed? Sometimes I think I have too much faith and I end up disappointed in God.

Unknown said...

Steve, I recently started reading your writting works, very nice and very direct a pleasure to read and also some things to think about as well. salt of the earth, is great I do not fear talking to anyone about my Lord and things to come now others that I speak to do mind LOL, but at least the seed has been planted , keep the great work up I think it is wonderful to read....Holly