Monday, September 29, 2008

Worry


In Paradox of Prayer, I opined that being a parent enhances your understanding of scripture. As a parent, I am amazed at how, even the most familiar of passages, read like brand new.

Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Matthew 6:26


One of my greatest fears is that my children be without food, shelter, or protection. Simply put, if my family needs food, then I'm already dead. As a father, I cannot comprehend any of my children worrying about such things. Michael and Anna go about their day oblivious to the labor involved with securing their food and shelter. They have no idea that a bank owns the house we live in. When I leave for work in the morning, they just know I'm "going to make nickels". They don't even know what a nickel is. For them, they are ignorant of what happens "under the hood" of life. And for them, ignorance is truly bliss.


I take my duties as a father pretty serious. If my wife and kids wanted to offend me, they need not ask me if I've put on a few pounds. Just ask if If I plan on feeding them that day. I have a good sense of humor and can take a joke, but that's one thing you don't joke about. If I knew they even worried for a second about such a thing, I would shrink into a puddle of snot.

So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Matthew 6:28-30


As a father, I understand the foolishness of my children worrying about their needs. It would break my heart to find out they were concerned about their future and welfare. So, I have no doubt it breaks the heart of God when I do the same thing. When I worry about the economy, gas prices, the next president, or terrorist, is it just as foolish? When I realize that God IS a father, I'm not concerned with how foolish it sounds, I'm nervous it is borderline insulting.

He is the God who provides, regardless of how well the stock market is doing. If I'm alive tomorrow, it is because He decided, not Al-Qaeda. If gas becomes $10 a gallon and God wants me to go somewhere, then He has to get creative, not me. God doesn't hope for the best, but plan for the worst. That's what I do. I am notorious for worrying FIRST, and praying LAST. If my family did this to me, I would be offended.

3 comments:

Natalie Powers said...

Wow. I so needed to read this. Worry is something that definitely consumes me at times. It looks different than how it does for you, but nonetheless, it's still worrying....and like you said...why?

Thanks for the encouraging word!

Jason Powers said...

Last night Jack got very sick, and immediately there were the uncaptured thoughts...

What if the baby gets sick...

What if Nat or I get sick...

What if Jack gets dehydrated...

Worry sneaks up like a slithering snake. I neede to hear and read this. Thanks Steveaux.

Unknown said...

I heard it said by someone and it rings true today...........
"think about everything, but worry about nothing"!