Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Lost

As a teen, I had a friend who seemed like he had it made. He could buy what he wanted, go where he wanted, and say what he wanted. He had a bigger allowance, a later curfew (if any), and cooler parents. There was no pressure to make good grades, so he was able to have more "fun" in class. Life seemed so easy for him. No expectations. No rules. No problems. It didn't take long for me to find out the secret to his success.

It was at my first sleep over, that I saw the light. If I could just get rid of my parents, I could be my own boss. Well not remove them completely, just lessen their involvement. My friend's father didn't live with him, and wasn't involved his life. His mother, whom he lived with, wasn't any different. He didn't have anyone telling him what to do, when to go to bed, and what NOT to watch on television. He was my hero. I wanted his life.

Though I've matured, I would be lying if I said I have stopped comparing my life with others. If God wasn't involved in my finances, I'd have more money to spend on me. If God wasn't involved in my time, I wouldn't be at church on Sunday morning. I would be in my underwear, drinking coffee, and reading the newspaper. If God wasn't involved in my life, I could do whatever I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. When I was a teenager, I used to think my parent's were holding me back. And now that I'm an adult, I sometimes find myself thinking the same thing. Is God holding me back from the life others get to live?

The problem with comparing your life with others, is that you can't see everything. What you DO see is always the result of what you DON'T see. As a teen, It was easy to be distracted by the greener grass of No Rules and No Expectations. But his greener grass was the result of a broken septic tank. What seemed "greener" on the outside was a result of something broken on the inside. My friend could do anything he wanted, because he had broken relationships. The people in his life had no opinion about who he was or what he did. He had no peace and joy, and he was lonely inside.

I am comforted in the fact that I belong to somebody. Yes, I may not always be the most "fun" at some parties. But that is because I am NOT my own. I am a child of God, and He expects me to act like one. He is my father, and he knows me more than I know myself. Now that I am older, the temptation to compare myself with those "outside" of my family isn't that strong. (Even though it would be cool to have a reality TV show and find my true B.F.F.) Less than obvious, is the temptation is to compare my life to my brothers and sisters.

In Luke 15, Jesus tells a story about a father and his two sons. The younger son demands his share of the inheritance, and his father gives it to him. He then packs up and leaves the country. While he is away, he spends everything he has, living the "good" life. Not long after wasting everything away, a severe famine strikes the land, and the son is left broke and busted. He takes a job feeding pigs and then realizes the error of his ways.
When he finally came to his senses, he said to himself, ‘At home even the hired servants have food enough to spare, and here I am dying of hunger! I will go home to my father and say, “Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, and I am no longer worthy of being called your son. Please take me on as a hired servant. Luke 15:17-19
After reuniting with his son, the father decides to celebrate.
But his father said to the servants, ‘Quick! Bring the finest robe in the house and put it on him. Get a ring for his finger and sandals for his feet. And kill the calf we have been fattening. We must celebrate with a feast, for this son of mine was dead and has now returned to life. He was lost, but now he is found.’ So the party began. Luke 15:22-24
Everyone was ready to party except for ONE person.
Meanwhile, the older son was in the fields working. When he returned home, he heard music and dancing in the house, and he asked one of the servants what was going on. ‘Your brother is back,’ he was told, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf. We are celebrating because of his safe return.’ Luke 15:25-27
The older brother was angry and wouldn't go in. His father came out and begged him, but he replied, ‘All these years I've slaved for you and never once refused to do a single thing you told me to. And in all that time you never gave me even one young goat for a feast with my friends. Yet when this son of yours comes back after squandering your money on prostitutes, you celebrate by killing the fattened calf!’ Luke 15:28-30
How easy it is, for me to spot the weakness and failures of others. What is NOT so easy is to spot the envy and covetousness in my own life. Jesus knew who His audience. He was speaking to a bunch of religious Jews. Jesus wasn't making a point of celebrating the return of the lost. He was mocking THEM for being lost and out of touch with their father. And they never left the house.
His father said to him, ‘Look, dear son, you have always stayed by me, and everything I have is yours. We had to celebrate this happy day. For your brother was dead and has come back to life! He was lost, but now he is found!’ Luke 15:31-32
Comparing yourself to others will cause you to become lost in envy and covetousness. I am notorious for losing my way and veering off course. The sad thing is, it happens while I'm still in the house.

No comments: